Friday, March 16, 2007

RIP HP and University entrance forms

Today sees the last bottle of UK produced HP sauce roll off the production line in Aston.
There is also much in the news about students applying for university having to declare the level of parental education, and occupation type.
I have often joked in the past that you could gain sociodemographic information from asking a simple question of how do you take a bacon butty (red or brown sauce, white or brown bread). Like most sociodemographic indicators its not 100%, but can provide clues.
We often find that on UCAS forms that where applications describe their parents occupation type, they generally overstate. I can see similar issues declaring parental education levels (both of my parents were teachers, but went to teacher training college, and not university, so I was a first timer in our family).

3 Comments:

At 11:16 am, Blogger Jonny Wright said...

The bacon butty test would certainly help you find out who was Jewish or Muslim! Beyond that, I'm not convinced it tells you much more than people's personal tastes. I've got HP Sauce and ketchup in the cupboard, and white and brown bread in the breadbin. Just goes by mood, I guess.

 
At 11:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So as a white bread tommy k kinda guy what does that make me Dr. Dave?

 
At 9:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whilst I'm a brown bread, red sauce for bacon here. Unless it's toasted bacon sangers, in which case it's white bread.

And then there was the best bacon sanger ever, Turkish bread, bacon and balsamic reduction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home