Thursday, June 09, 2005

Sin City

Wow!
I saw a trailer for this before Star Wars, but it didn't really jump out at me. I've not seen the comics before so was completely unprepared for the violence, visualisation and darkness of the stories. Fortunately there are redeeming characters, few and far between though (Dwight, played by Clive Owen). The use of b&w in film is great to see, and the vivid splashes of colour pop out at you (The Yellow Bastard vignette in particular).
This is definitely one comic come film that has worked. I enjoyed Hellboy, but it was SFX heavy. Judge Dredd was a Stallone film. Batman films have never lived up to the characters darkness, and focused on the enemy. Spiderman took the comics style to the big screen.
I'd like to see Preacher adapted, although I'm not sure that audiences are quite ready for this story of a fun loving, gun toting Southern preacher, a vampire and the catholic church (along the lines of the Da Vinci code)...
2000AD characters I'd like to see adapted: Sinister Dexter would be a lot of fun, and Nikolai Dante would push the boundaries of taste. Another Dredd film taking the Total War story would be interesting (much of Judge Dredd is actually a reflection of current affairs but in the Dredd universe. Total War takes the theme of terrorism, cells and nuclear bombs and runs).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home