Friday, February 03, 2006

Free speech

My tuppence worth on the "cartoon" issue.
I will defend the right of the newspapers/tv to print/show the cartoons, but I also believe in responsible use of free speech. Its a right that has been hard fought for, so it needs to be used carefully, just so that some nanny state doesn't come along and rob us of it (pretty much as the "religious hate law" may have done).
I don't personally think the cartoons are bad taste (they were on C4). They are certainly crude in their ideas. In tolerating others beliefs, I don't think responsible reporting should self censure because of the satirical content, but because of the picturing of the Prophet, that was clearly not tolerant of the religion.

3 Comments:

At 4:55 pm, Blogger Joe Otten said...

I don't quite follow you, Dave. Why do you think picturing the prophet was intolerant?

Yes Islam has rules against picturing the prophet. (Nobody mention Christianity and graven images pls!) But tolerating a religion doesn't require following all of its rules, does it?

 
At 2:43 pm, Blogger Radders said...

I think it is having respect for the culture/religion, in the same way I'd remove my hat on entering a church.

 
At 12:07 pm, Blogger Alex Wilcock said...

I'd also remove my hat (were I to wear one), or more pertinently my shoes, were I entering a place of worship where that was appropriate.

My problem with your statement is that it implies the entire world is to be treated as a place of worship. Naturally that's what theists think; but it leaves very little space for those of us who don't share such beliefs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home