Monday, June 12, 2006

Is it cos I is...

Political Hack has had a go at me because I'm white, and middle class! I'm not sure when being middle class became a crime in Tony Blair's vision of Britain....
Although not denying being middle class, I'm unsure that the evidence in my candidates profile is wholly conclusive. Is attending the local state schools middle class? Is going to university middle class? Or is being Liberal Democrat the clincher?
But those in glasshouses shouldn't play with stones. A study of the 3 previous deputy leaders of the Labour group has a distinct pattern to it: Ian Ward, Hugh McCallion, Stewart Stacey.
Compared to the LibDems: Dave Radcliffe, Tariq Khan, Sue Anderson.
One set of names is more prominant for being white, middle class and male than the other set.

3 Comments:

At 2:36 pm, Blogger Bob Piper said...

Is it cos you're in de Nile? I thought Stacey was a bloody train driver. How are the Lib Dems defining the middle classes now? How many Lib Dem Cabinet positions have been held by people from the BME communities since you've been sharing power with your Tory allies?

 
At 6:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given how much train drivers earn - far more than most of us - they're most definitely middle class!

 
At 1:58 pm, Blogger Adam Nazir Ahmed said...

As a BME liberal democrat political activist in Birmingham I don’t believe any of the BME liberal democrat councillors in Birmingham have the capabilities to be a competent cabinet member of even committee chair. I think that one who previously did wasn’t good enough at the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home