Monday, October 22, 2007

control

Last week I was able to go to the cinema for the first time in ages (see previous post). We went along to see Control, the biopic of Ian Curtis, the Joy Division singer and lyricist.
I knew it was never going to have a happy ending (as he committed suicide on 18 May 1980), but I wasn't fully aware of how he'd got to that situation, or quite how troubled and disturbed he was (all be it from the perspective of his wife Debbie, who he'd just about left in the days/weeks before his tragic end).
The music of Joy Division was performed by the actors, and they did it very well. The music was also tied into the storyline to punctuate and emphasis events in Curtis' life. Quite whether he did actually pen them at those particular episodes is uncertain.
My one bit of Joy Division trivia is that their last ever gig was performed at Chamberlain Hall, University of Birmingham on 2 May 1980. Not a renowned rock venue, but somewhere I ate my breakfast and dinner for 3 years while a residential tutor in the hall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home