Wednesday, October 11, 2006

What no conkers madness?

News reaches me (via Liberal England) that the annual World Conker Championships were held last Sunday in Ashton (date for diary 2nd Sunday of October every year). Unfortunately I was trapped in Wolverhampton (combination of alcohol on Saturday and lack of Central Trains on the Sunday), so couldn't make it.
I used to be a regular visitor when younger as its held in a beautiful village just a couple of miles from my parents. And it is still organised by my long retired 6th form tutor John Hadman, that rare breed of being someone who taught archaeology in a state school.
Anyway, there has been a complete lack of "health and safety gone mad" stories in the press this year. Maybe its because there are too many prisoners and too many nuclear states this year that the newspapers are actually report news?
PS The WCC are looking for a new major sponsor for next year. If interested contact them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home